Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Backyard Bistro a bit slow on the uptake

So I tried to have lunch with my spouse at the Backyard Bistro during her lunch hour. I had lunch with a colleague once before; the food was nothing special, your typical slightly over-priced, average sports-bar fare. But it was different, and being only about 5-10 minutes away depending on traffic, we made it there and were ordering by about 10 after the hour. Two guys in military camo outfits followed us in, as well as another couple and a middle aged guy. By 20-of, all the others had been served food by some guy in street clothes. We waited and looked for the waiter, who was nowhere to be found.

I thought about it. Should I call a manager and futz about them forgetting our order while my wife's remaining lunch hour expires, let her go hungry, and end up being late? I did the next best thing: I walked out, got my wife a sandwich at Wendy's, dropped her off at work just in time, and returned to explain to the manager why I was unsatisfied with the service.

What really irks me is that the manager turned out to be that the guy in street clothes passing out the food to the people around us. The waiter never appeared again after initially taking the order. Instead I surmise that the manager took over and, confused about some detail, simply skipped us. Instead of acknowledging the oversight, he claimed the waiter said to him that the meal was ready 7 minutes after we ordered, and when he went to pick it up at the kitchen window we were gone. As he looked at me with glazed over eyes, I let him know we had been there for over a half hour waiting. He had no response except to look befuddled.

I thought it would be nice to try someplace different for a change, but I was wrong. It wasn't nice at all, it was an aggravating waste of my time.

No comments: